Introduction: St. james church is an Anglican church in Delhi which is also known as Skinner’s Church, located at the beginning of the lothian road, Kashmere Gate. It is one of the oldest churches in the city and an architectural landmark in Delhi. Church is of a western classical design with a Greek cross plan. The dome is covering central main area of the church which also bears some resemblance to the dome of the Florence Cathedral by Brunelleschi. Also the church has beautiful stained glass windows inside, and houses the Skinner Family cementry with a number of interesting marble monuments in its compound. It has a Florentine dome and was damaged in 1857 by the rebel sepoys but later repaired. Just below the communion table is the tombstone of Colonel James Skinner, the military adventurer who gave his name to the church. Very few know that one of the famous tourist attractions in Delhi, William Frazer Bungalow is situated behind this Church.
History: The amount of INR 95,000 to construct this church was financed by colonel james skinner after god answered to his prayers. Skinner was son of a scottish father and a rajput mother. The Church was designed by Major Robert Smith and its construction commenced in 1826. It took almost 10 years to be completely constructed. The Bishop of Kolkata Rev. Daniel Wilson, consecrated the Church on 21st November 1836 and named it as ‘St. James Church’. In 1865 some restoration work was done on the church which had been badly damaged in 1857.
Timings: 9:30AM – 6:00 PM
Prayer timings: Sunday morning
Address: Church Road, Mori Gate, Delhi-110006
Nearest metro station: Kashmere Gate
Celebrations: Easter and Christmas
Contact no.: 011-65822703