Introduction: Ghiyasuddin tughlaq’s tomb is south of the main fortress and was originally separated from it by a huge water body, but today it is across a very busy road. It is an exquisite building with a striking mihrab. It is an excellent example of a warrior’s tomb, distintly different from the garden tombs built by lodhi’s. It has a dome of white marble. It is considered to be one of the earliest masterpieces built of red sandstone and white marble. The square tomb is in the centre of a pentagonal enclosure with high walls. Red sandstone and White Marbles have been utilized for embellishing this petite structure. The Dome is crowned with an ‘amla’ or ‘melon’ and ‘kalash’ or ‘vase’ pinnacles and hence depicts Hindu architectural influences as seen in Hindu Temples across Delhi. Other than the Tomb of Ghiyas-ud-din Tughlaq or Ghiyath-Al-din, the Tomb structure also houses the graves of his second son, Sultan Muhammad Adil Tughlaq Shah, who died in 1351 AD and his wife, Begam Makhdima Jehan.
History: The Fort was constructed by Ferozshah Tughlaq who was the ruler of the Tughlaq Dynasty between 1320 AD and 1325 AD. A short lived reigned during which he also constructed the site for his own Tomb. Formerly named as tomb of Ghiyath-Al-Din Tughlaq. The Sultan had also constructed a causeway measuring 229 metres long that was supported by 26 piers and arches and crossed over the artificial lake connecting his Tomb with his Fort.
Address: Tughlakabad, New Delhi, Delhi 110062
Entry fee: Still free
Nearest metro station: Saket